Job title: Sessional Lecturer & Tutor in Urban Planning and Design
Job posted: 27 July 2018
Closing Date: 25 August 2018
The Singapore campus of James Cook University is fully owned by James Cook University Australia, which is ranked in the top 2%* of universities in the world. James Cook University Australia established its Singapore campus in 2003 as part of its expressed intent of internationalising its activities and offers a suite of university level programs at the Singapore campus covering the areas of Business, Information Technology, Psychology, Education, Accounting, Arts, Aquaculture, Environmental Science, Games Design, Tourism and Hospitality.
James Cook University offers Higher Degree by Research programs such as Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Philosophy and pathways to a higher degree.
Additionally, the campus offers courses at the pre-university level, specifically designed to provide pathways for students who are unable to immediately meet university entrance standards.
The campus is growing and very friendly and academic staff across the disciplines and administrative staff often interact. At any time, there are students on campus from at least 40 different countries, mainly from the region, but also including a growing cohort from Europe. Singapore is an interesting place to live and provides easy access to other countries in the region. The position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to expand their cultural experience, live in a fascinating and exciting city.
James Cook University Singapore is seeking a suitable candidate for its new Master of Planning and Urban Design (MPUD). Cities are home to more than half the world’s population, and in the tropical world also have rapid population growth forecast and significant economic and social inequality. Building on JCU’s strengths in Engineering and Planning, this Master degree will focus on developing design capability in the planning of tropical cities. Staff and students will work in collaboration with governments, non-government organisations and industry to develop their design skills to find appropriate solutions for urban areas.
We are now seeking suitable candidates for the position of:
Sessional Lecturer & Tutor in URBAN PLANNING AND DESIGN
The Sessional Lecturer, specializing in Urban Planning and Design or Environmental Sciences will work closely with academic staff in the development, course coordination and delivery of the Master in Planning and Urban Design offered at JCU Singapore. Additional responsibilities may include mentoring undergraduate and postgraduate students, contributing to essential service activities and developing partnerships with industry leaders in the region. Expertise in GIS, Environmental and Regional Planning, or Disaster management are highly desirable. The incumbent will be teaching modules on disaster resilience, urban design and planning, sustainable urbanism or related disciplines and will have a record of academic and industry experience.
- Conducting lectures & tutorials in undergraduate and postgraduate subjects
- Incorporating industry based learning experiences
- Supervision of postgraduate research projects.
- Significant contribution to the profession, and/or discipline.
- Marking of Exams & Assignment Scripts
- Crafting of Exam and assignment questions in consultation with the subject coordinators.
- Manage the Learning Management System/Black Board for the subject.
- Attend training workshops and discipline related meetings
- Timely feedback to students and submission of exam scripts
Key Selection Criteria
- A PhD in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Architecture, Environmental Sciences OR a related discipline OR 10 years industry experience at a senior level.
- A substantial publication record is desirable.
- Evidence of quality teaching and supervision of students at postgraduate levels.
- The ability to teach across a range of subjects at various levels.
- Experience teaching online classes and team teaching is a plus.
- Evidence of continued industry connections and able to incorporate these connections in the subject delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relations with colleagues in an academic environment and with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Amenable to use new learning and teaching technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Flexible with schedule adjustments due to university facility, staff redeployment or calendar changes.
Employment type: Sessional position subject to Ministry of Manpower Singapore jurisdiction and CPE regulations.
Method of Application Applications should provide all of the following:
- up-to-date CV including research, teaching and industry engagement record
- recent teaching evaluations.
Applications without any of the above will not be considered. Please state position and reference number applying for in subject header and send application to email@example.com
We thank you for your interest and regret we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right to invite applications or, alternatively, not to make an appointment.
The Singapore campus of James Cook University (registered as James Cook University Pte Ltd in Singapore) is a wholly owned company of James Cook University Australia.
*The Academic Ranking of World Universities, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2017
#The Doctor of Psychology (Clinical Psychology) program is also available