This policy provides guidelines to ensure data relating to an identifiable individual is held securely and properly managed.
JCU Singapore collects personal data to support its organisational functions such as, but not limited to, teaching, learning, research and general administration. This includes for example, sending or storing medical information by electronic means, either via a website or by email.
This policy applies to all JCU Singapore staff, students, contractors and any other third party who collects or manages personal information on behalf of JCU Singapore.
Personal data - The Personal Data Protection Act 2012, defines personal data as, "data, whether true or not, about an individual who can be identified -
(a) from that data; or
(b) from that data and other information to which the organisation has or is likely to have access."
JCU Singapore will not use or disclose personal information for any purpose other than as advised at the time of collection, unless:
- JCU Singapore has obtained signed written consent, or
- The information is required by law or court order, or
- A request for information is made by the Ministry of Education or the Council for Private Education, or any statutory authority, or
- Publication or release of information as is customary by universities or other educational institutions, including, but not limited to, awards of prizes, medals, scholarships, classes of honours and other marks of distinction and, student or graduation status, or
- In exceptional circumstances, when withholding information would likely result in a serious threat to the health, safety or life of the student, staff, another individual, individuals or the general public.
JCU Singapore shall make every effort to ensure the data collected is accurate and complete and will take every precaution to protect personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure, copying, alteration, or destruction.
JCU Singapore will retain the personal information until the purpose for the collection is being served by retention or the retention is necessary for legal or business purposes.
JCU Singapore shall obtain the individual's clear and unambiguous consent in written or other accessible form to receive telemarketing messages specifically through voice calls, text messages or fax messages if the individual is registered in the Do Not Call Registers.
JCU Singapore shall designate one or more individuals to implement personal data protection policies. The business contact information of the data protection officer(s) shall be made available to the public.
Where necessary, JCU Singapore may disclose personal information of its students to external organizations such as professional bodies, hospitals and schools in order to enable those students to undertake a practical experience or a clinical component of their course.
JCU Singapore may provide information of its students to third parties for administrative and legislative purposes (under the Private Education Act 2009 and the Private Education Regulation 2009) including but not limited to JCU Australia, JCU Student Association; JCU’s
educational representatives and business partners; Australian Commonwealth and State agencies; other academic institutions to verify their previous qualifications; and the Fee Protection and Medical Insurance providers.
- JCU Singapore web site is administered by James Cook Australia Institute of Higher Learning (JCU Singapore). The following provides an overview of how your privacy is protected during your visit.
- When you browse this website or use the Search function, data will not be captured that allows us to identify you individually. This site automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookie information, and the page(s) requested. Although
user sessions are tracked, the users will still remain anonymous.
- This site may contain links to other independently-managed websites within the JCU Singapore network and to some sites outside the "jcu.edu.sg" domain whose data protection and privacy practices may be different from ours. We are not responsible for the content and privacy practices of these websites
and encourage you to examine the privacy notices of those sites.
- In order to serve you efficiently and effectively, the data collected might be used by different offices within JCU Singapore, or if necessary, with other Government agencies, unless such sharing is prohibited by legislation when responding to your applications or e-mails that contains personally
- JCU Singapore takes every precaution to protect your data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure, copying, alteration, or destruction. However, you should note there are inherent risks associated with transmission of information via the Internet. Therefore you should make your own assessment
of the potential risks to the security of your information when making a decision as to whether or not to transmit information to JCU Singapore by electronic means.
If you believe JCU Singapore has not adhered to these principles, please notify us in writing, addressed to:
Personal Data Protection Officer,
149 Sims Drive,
Contact number: +65 6709 3602, email: firstname.lastname@example.org