Bachelor of Commerce
Bachelor of Commerce
With this degree you will be equipped with skills and knowledge for a career in the changing business and not for profit environments. The degree program will enhance your critical thinking and problem solving skills, practice ethical values, adopting a commercial mindset, understanding project management and mastering critical thinking and problem solving.
Initially, students will concentrate on establishing a solid understanding of the business environment via the compulsory subjects. Later on, students will start to specialize and expand your major area of study. You will also have the opportunity to see and experience business fundamentals in action while working on industry related projects.
Depending on the area of specialization, students can apply for membership to a wide range of organizations. The accounting major within the Bachelor of Commerce program is accredited by CPA Australia and Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ).
The accounting major qualifications is also endorsed by the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) and recognised by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
The Banking & Finance and Financial Management Majors are recognized by the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute (CFA). The program is closely tied to the practice of investment management and is helpful to students preparing for the CFA Program exams.
3 trimesters per year (normally 4 subjects per trimester)
- Accounting for Decision Making
- Principles of Economics
- Principles of Data Analysis for Business
- Introduction to Management Concepts and Application
- Professional and Academic Skills for Business
- Principles of Finance
- Business Law
- plus one of the following Work Integrated Learning Capstone Subjects:
- Professional Internship*
- Multidisciplinary Project
- Independent Project*
Additional Course Conditions:
In the JCU Bachelor of Commerce, students conclude their studies with a core Work Integrated Learning (WIL) experience that connects them with the business community, enabling them to demonstrate their graduate skills to potential employers.
To be eligible to apply for WIL, students must successfully complete prescribed online career development modules and quizzes throughout the degree to better prepare them for their WIL experience.
Note: Upon recommendation students are required to complete English for Academic Purposes subject to meet progression requirements.
For a comprehensive listing and outline of the respective course subjects, please click here.
Eligibility & Requirements
- The entry requirements differ from country to country but in general applicants must have satisfactorily completed 12 years of schooling or equivalent.
- Successful completion of the James Cook University Foundation Program will also satisfy the entry requirement.
- Recommended: Mathematical Methods
For further information email [email protected]
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of IELTS 6 (no component lower than 6.0) / TOEFL (Internet Based) 74 (no component less than 18) / Pearson PTE Academic 52 (no component less than 52); or
- Satisfactory completion of James Cook University Singapore English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP); or
- Successful completion of other qualifications completed in English Language deemed comparable to Australian standards on a case-by-case basis in accordance to JCU admissions guidelines
- Advanced standing of up to 8 subjects will be granted upon successful completion of James Cook University Diploma of Higher Education (Business Studies) program.
- Credit exemption may be granted for students with tertiary qualifications from recognised institutions on a case-by-case basis.
International students holding a valid Student's Pass are required to attend at least 90% of scheduled classes per month. Failure to attend classes is a breach of the student visa conditions. Being absent from classes for a continuous period of seven days or more, or attendance falling below 90% without valid reasons will result in the student needing to surrender their Student's Pass for cancellation.
Domestic students must attend at least 75% of the scheduled lecture and tutorial activities to be eligible for assessment.
Accounting graduates are in demand around the world. They progress through a wide range of employment opportunities in the public and private sector including: public accounting practice, financial and management accounting, system accountant, financial officer, management consulting and policy advisor.
*Fees apply to all Singapore residents (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and all pass holders excluding those holding a Student Pass)
- All course fees include the corresponding Singapore Goods and Services Tax (GST), which is 8% in 2023.
- There will be an increase of GST in 2024 to 9%, hence this will affect the total tuition fees.
- The details of the instalment breakdown will be provided in your Student Contract. Please contact us for further details.
Note: International students in Singapore on a Student Pass are not permitted to work. For more information please visit http://www.ica.gov.sg.
James Cook University is EduTrust Certified. The EduTrust certification scheme is administered by the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). EduTrust requires all students to be covered under a Fee Protection Scheme. In James Cook University, this is provided through an insurance protection scheme. Further, EduTrust also requires that the students must be covered under a medical insurance coverage which has provision for hospitalisation, surgery and treatment costs throughout their course duration. James Cook University will advise in the Standard Student Contract the total amount of insurance payable.
For more details please visit the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) website: www.cpe.gov.sg
Although James Cook University endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.
View our upcoming events
Download the Business brochure here.