Bachelor of Information Technology
Bachelor of Information Technology
This course brings together the knowledge and skills that are essential for professional IT careers along with subjects in interactive visualisation, games, big data and data mining, interactive 2D/3D graphics and web technologies, mobile technologies, programming and design thinking, and programming.
Bachelor of Information Technology graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate essential knowledge for a career in technology related professions and practice;
- Synthesise industry standard and underlying principles and concepts for decision making;
- Critically evaluate data & resources in the context or relevant academic literature;
- Apply critical thinking to address IT related issues;
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively
This course is accredited by the Australian Computer Society (ACS). Graduates are eligible to apply to join the ACS.
As an IT student, you will be entitled to memberships with two professional bodies: The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and the Singapore Computer Society (SCS).
Carousel/Block**: March, July, November
(Commencing in Trimester)
*In 2024, the intake will commence in February
**Carousel/Block intakes are for commencing students only, subsequently, students will progress with the trimester.
4 subjects in Trimester
2 subjects in Carousel/Block
This course is composed of 24 subjects including core subjects and elective as per the study plan.
- Problem Solving and Programming I
- Internet Fundamentals
- Design Thinking I
- Programming II
- Web Design and Development
- Introductory Machine Learning and Data Science
- Information Processing and Visualisation
- Database Modelling
- Programming III
- Design Thinking II
- Network Security
- Cloud Computing
- Discrete Mathematics for Computing
- Data Mining
- Information Security
- Design Thinking III
- Mobile Computing
- Advanced Software Engineering
- Deep Learning
- Professional Internship or Multi-Disciplinary Project or
Choose 4 of any undergraduate subject
For a comprehensive listing and outline of the respective course subjects, please click here.
- The entry requirements differ from country to country but in general applicants must have satisfactorily completed 12 years of schooling or equivalent.
- Successful completion of the James Cook University Foundation Program will also satisfy the entry requirement.
- Recommended: Mathematical Methods
For further information email [email protected]
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of IELTS 6 (no component lower than 6.0) / TOEFL (Internet Based) 74 (no component less than 18) / Pearson PTE Academic 52 (no component less than 52); or
- Satisfactory completion of James Cook University Singapore English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP); or
- Successful completion of other qualifications completed in English Language deemed comparable to Australian standards on a case-by-case basis in accordance to JCU admissions guidelines
- Advanced standing of up to 8 subjects will be granted upon successful completion of James Cook University Diploma of Higher Education (Information Technology) program.
- Credit exemption of up to 16 subjects may be granted for students with relevant qualifications from recognised institutions.
International students holding a valid Student’s Pass are required to attend at least 90% of scheduled classes per month. Failure to attend classes is a breach of the student visa conditions. Being absent from classes for a continuous period of seven days or more, or attendance falling below 90% without valid reasons will result in the student needing to surrender their Student's Pass for cancellation.
Domestic students must attend at least 75% of the scheduled lecture and tutorial activities to be eligible for assessment.
Graduates will have the expertise to pursue exciting careers as project manager, network administrator and designer, system analyst, software developer, application developer, IT researcher, IT manager, system administrator, multimedia developer, game designer/tester/reviewer, simulation designer, enterprise architect, consultant, story boarder, web designer, and mobile app developer.
**Fees apply to all Singapore residents (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and all pass holders excluding those holding a Student Pass).
- All course fees include the corresponding Singapore Goods and Services Tax (GST), which is 9% in 2024.
- The details of the instalment breakdown will be provided in your Student Contract. Please contact us for further details.
Note: International students in Singapore on a Student Pass are not permitted to work. For more information please visit http://www.ica.gov.sg.
James Cook University is EduTrust Certified. The EduTrust certification scheme is administered by the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). EduTrust requires all students to be covered under a Fee Protection Scheme. In James Cook University, this is provided through an insurance protection scheme. Further, EduTrust also requires that the students must be covered under a medical insurance coverage which has provision for hospitalisation, surgery and treatment costs throughout their course duration. James Cook University will advise in the Standard Student Contract the total amount of insurance payable.
For more details please visit the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) website: https://www.skillsfuture.gov.sg/pei
Although James Cook University endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.