Q: Under what conditions am I allowed to participate in the Online Learning?

A: You must:

  1. Accept the offer of admission
  2. Make payment
  3. Enrol in your subjects

Q: Can I participate in the Online Learning from my home country?

A: Yes. You can access the online learning platform as long as you have an internet connection. If you are facing technical issues, you may contact our Information and Communications Technology team at

Q: Will I have to apply for an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter / Student Pass if I am participating in the Online Learning outside of Singapore?

A: No. However, do take note that all international students are still required to apply for and receive a valid IPA in order to arrive in Singapore and continue with face-to-face studies after the Online Learning.

Q: Will I currently be able to enter Singapore and access the campus with an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter / Student Pass?

A: All existing student pass holders, as well as those who have been granted in-principle approval, must obtain MOE's permission before starting their journey to Singapore by submitting their application for entry to Student Affairs at which will then be forwarded to MOE.

Applicants who are given permission to enter Singapore will be issued an approval letter of entry that is valid for two weeks. This letter must be produced to airline staff upon check-in at the departure airport and to the immigration officer at the checkpoint upon arrival into Singapore.

Those who arrive in Singapore without the approval letter of entry will not be allowed to clear immigration, and will need to bear the cost of flying out of Singapore within 48 hours. Failure to comply will result in the cancellation of the Student Pass or the rescinding of the IPA.

In the view of the current situation, MOE will not be able to support Private Education Institution (PEI) applications at the moment, until further notice.

For more information, click here.

If your IPA expires, or if you have any questions about your IPA, please contact Student Affairs at

Q: In which classrooms are microphones currently available?

A: They are available in all lecture theatres – C2-13, C2-14, C2-15, C4-13, C4-1 and Block C, 64-seaters classroom.

Q: How can teaching staff request for a microphone if they need one for face-to-face teaching?

A: Please inform the Academic Planning team of your request and they will be able to indicate the need for a microphone when booking for the room through the facility booking system. For last-minute requests, please call the Facilities Hotline at 6709 3890, but it will subject to availability of the inventory.

Q: What is the protocol regarding use of microphone in the classroom? Is it only to be used by the lecturer concerned? Or can the lecturer pass it to a student in a big classroom should there be a need for students to raise questions in class?

A: We advise not to share microphones during this period. To avoid cross-contamination, we have an inventory of disposable microphone covers provided with the microphones.

Q: When wearing the face shield in the classroom, is there a need to wear a mask as well?

A: For lecturers who are speaking to a group in a classroom or lecture-style setting, and are able to maintain a safe distance away from any other persons, masks may be exempted. For more information:

Q: Will hand sanitisers be provided outside of each classroom or within the classroom so that everyone entering the class can have access when needed?

A: Hand sanitisers have been installed inside all classrooms before the Circuit Breaker period.