James Cook University’s reputation for excellence in research is worldwide. This reputation continues to build at JCU Singapore as we attract high-quality academic staff to conduct innovative research projects. Their Mission is to pursue first rate research of international excellence and widely publish the results of their research.
We commit ourselves to research of excellence and high impact, particularly on issues of critical importance to the world’s tropics and high volume tourism areas, such as Asia.
Our Academic staff thematic research areas are; social psychology, Singapore and family, education, aquaculture and marine science, tourism, artificial intelligence, suicidology and self harm and, therapy. Within these clusters our highly qualified academics are delving into research interests as diverse as reef fish evolutionary ecology, vandalism in tourism, learning theories, psychology of Singaporeans, machine learning, data mining, ageing and interpersonal attraction.
The measures of research activity include external research income support, supervision of research students and publication of original research findings in quality peer-reviewed journals.
Faculty research projects for students provide unique learning opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students in the areas of clinical and social psychology, business and marketing, tourism, information technology and education.
Research is of little value until it is shared with others to benefit all. The Singapore campus has a Public Lecture Series, an opportunity for researchers and academia to share their knowledge and research outcomes with other research groups and the general public.
JCU Singapore is building on the strong research undertaken by the Australian campuses of this University.
WHAT WE’VE DONE
WHAT WE’RE DOING
- Ensured that staff appointed to our campus have strong research track records or research potential
- Incorporated research output as a Key Performance Indicator for academic staff
- Creation of a research institute focusing on our strengths and as a vehicle to partner with industries and other institutions to conduct high quality, socially relevant research.
- Pursuing high-quality, curiosity-driven and strategically significant research to achieve international excellence in all areas
- Widely publishing and disseminating the results of research
- Promoting interdisciplinary research and cultivating the development of new disciplines
- Collaborating with public, industrial and commercial partners on technology transfers and the application of research, both in Singapore and the region
- Maximising international opportunities through school and university-led collaborations
- Pursue world-class appointments to the remaining research positions
- Implement the first phase of a new Graduate Research program
- Establish strategy groups to take lead responsibility for these thematic areas