Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
The early years of life are a time of rapid brain development as the foundations of learning and development are laid. High quality early childhood education makes a difference to the lives of young children during their prior-to-school years and the early years of schooling. As an Early Childhood Education student you will focus on the education and care of children aged from birth to eight years, learning about educational psychology and sociology, early childhood curricula, and pedagogy.
Overall you will experience 120 days of workplace learning in early childhood prior to school or school settings.
Note: The programme is not a Singapore Early Childhood Development Agency
(ECDA)-accredited programme. Graduates who wish to work in the local early childhood sector will need to submit an application to ECDA for Teacher Registration via a preschool. Approval by ECDA will be subjected to the applicant meeting the requirements for Teacher Registration.
3 trimesters per year
Full-time: normally 4 subjects per trimester
Part-time: normally 2 subjects per trimester
Students need to complete the following subjects:
In addition, students complete 120 days of professional placement across the degree in a range of settings for children 0-8 years of age in Singapore and other approved international sites as required.
1. As a default, Bachelor of Early Childhood Education students will be enrolled into the Singapore versions of this subject: Fourth Year Professional Experience A (Singapore)
2. As a default, Bachelor of Early Childhood Education students will be enrolled into the Singapore versions of this subject: Fourth Year Professional Experience B (Singapore)
3. All students are required to attend a compulsory 5-day on-campus intensive Professional Orientation Program in their final year of study. This intensive program prepares students transition to teaching.
4. International students on a Student Pass will require a Training Work Permit to complete the teaching focussed professional experience in Singapore. Subject to the necessary approval, students may also be able to organise their own teaching focussed professional experience in their home country or countries other than Singapore.
For a comprehensive listing and outline of the respective course subjects, please click here.
- The entry requirement for the course is satisfactory completion of 12 years of schooling or equivalent including English, Maths and Science at year 12 level
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet
- the English language proficiency requirements of IELTS 6.5
(no component lower than 6.0) / TOEFL (Internet Based) 86 (no component less than 21) / Pearson PTE Academic 58 (no component less than 54); or
- Satisfactory completion of James Cook University Singapore English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP); or
- Successful completion of other qualifications completed in English Language deemed comparable to Australian standards on a case-by-case basis in accordance to JCU admissions guidelines.
International students holding a valid Student’s Pass are required to attend at least 90% of scheduled classes per month. Failure to attend classes is a breach of the student visa conditions. Being absent from classes for a continuous period of seven days or more, or attendance falling below 90% without valid reasons will result in the student needing to surrender their Student's Pass for cancellation.
Domestic students must attend at least 75% of the scheduled lecture and tutorial activities to be eligible for assessment.
Early Childhood Education is a specialized field of education that leads to leadership positions in kindergartens and preschools or teaching positions in international schools in Singapore, teaching positions in kindergartens, preschools and schools. Recognition of the qualification in other nations needs to be individually pursued.
*Fees apply to all Singapore residents (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and all pass holders excluding those holding a Student Pass)
- All course fees include the corresponding Singapore Goods and Services Tax (GST), which is 8% in 2023.
- There will be an increase of GST in 2024 to 9%, hence this will affect the total tuition fees.
- The details of the instalment breakdown will be provided in your Student Contract. Please contact us for further details.
Note: International students in Singapore on a Student Pass are not permitted to work. For more information please visit http://www.ica.gov.sg.
James Cook University is EduTrust Certified. The EduTrust certification scheme is administered by the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). EduTrust requires all students to be covered under a Fee Protection Scheme. In James Cook University, this is provided through an insurance protection scheme. Further, EduTrust also requires that the students must be covered under a medical insurance coverage which has provision for hospitalisation, surgery and treatment costs throughout their course duration. James Cook University will advise in the Standard Student Contract the total amount of insurance payable.
For more details please visit the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) website: www.cpe.gov.sg
Although James Cook University endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.