Pre-University Foundation Program Extended
Pre-University Foundation Program Extended
The objective of the JCU Foundation program, Extended is to provide an alternative pathway into tertiary education programs for those students including international students who are disadvantaged by their geographical location, family situation, educational history or other circumstances whereby they are unable to participate in other entry mechanisms.
It equips students with the knowledge, skills and attitude to enter tertiary study.
3 trimesters consisting of 4 months each
Students are required to complete 3 trimesters/ terms namely:
- English Language Preparatory Program Level 3
Term 2 and 3
Students are required to complete 10 of the following subjects:
- English Fundamentals 1
- Communication Across Cultures
- Critical Thinking
- Introduction to Learning & Development
- Introduction to Mathematics
- Human Perspective on World Geography
- Introduction to Information Technology
- English Fundamentals 2
For a comprehensive listing and outline of the respective course subjects, please click here.
Eligibility & Requirements
GCE ‘O’ level or IGCSE qualification with a minimum FOUR O level passes with a minimum 11 points aggregate score|
NITEC + Interview
MYP Certificate with at least 28 points
|Hong Kong||HKCEE Form 5 with grade C in 3 subjects|
|Malaysia||SPM/UEC with passes in 4 academic subjects with C average|
|Korea||Senior High School leaving certificate Year 2 with D average|
|Vietnam||Year 11 with GPA 5.0|
|Indonesia||SMA Year 2 with GPA 6.5|
|India||Year 11 with 55% average|
|Thailand||Matayom 5 with 50% average|
Certificate of UNT (Unified National Testing) -11 years of schooling which is comparable to GCE “AS” level. To gain entry with overall final grade of minimum 70%; or |
Certificate of Basic Secondary Education -11 years of schooling (without taking UNT). To gain entry with grade average of 3.5 (70%)
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of IELTS 5.5 (no component lower than 5.0) / TOEFL (Internet Based) 56 (no component less than 16) / Pearson PTE Academic 46 (no component less than 42); or
- Satisfactory completion of James Cook University Singapore English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP); or
- Successful completion of other qualifications completed in English Language deemed comparable to Australian standards within the last two years on a case-by-case basis
Students must pass Term 1 subjects in order to progress to Term 2 and Term 3. Students need to successfully complete ten(10) subjects from Term 2 and 3 with a minimum pass of 50% per subject and secure an overall 65% to progress to the JCU undergraduate program.
For progression** to an Education degree, an overall of 75% is required.
**Progression will be subject to meeting the English language proficiency and subject pre-requisites requirement.
International students holding a valid Student's Pass are required to attend at least 90% of scheduled classes per month. Failure to attend classes is a breach of the student visa conditions. Being absent from classes for a continuous period of seven days or more, or attendance falling below 90% without valid reasons will result in the student needing to surrender their Student's Pass for cancellation.
Domestic students must attend at least 75% of the scheduled lecture and tutorial activities to be eligible for assessment.
It’s a pathway program giving students the opportunity to pursue an undergraduate program. There is no exit certificate.
*Fees apply to all Singapore residents (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and all pass holders excluding those holding a Student Pass)
- All course fees include the corresponding Singapore Goods and Services Tax (GST), which is 8% in 2023.
- There will be an increase of GST in 2024 to 9%, hence this will affect the total tuition fees.
- The details of the instalment breakdown will be provided in your Student Contract. Please contact us for further details.
Note: International students in Singapore on a Student Pass are not permitted to work. For more information please visit http://www.ica.gov.sg.
James Cook University is EduTrust Certified. The EduTrust certification scheme is administered by the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). EduTrust requires all students to be covered under a Fee Protection Scheme. In James Cook University, this is provided through an insurance protection scheme. Further, EduTrust also requires that the students must be covered under a medical insurance coverage which has provision for hospitalisation, surgery and treatment costs throughout their course duration. James Cook University will advise in the Standard Student Contract the total amount of insurance payable.
For more details please visit the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) website: www.cpe.gov.sg
Although James Cook University endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.
View our upcoming events
Download the Pathway Program brochure here.