Bachelor of Cybersecurity
Bachelor of Cybersecurity
Cybersecurity is a growing industry where demand hugely outstrips supply and currently lacks a specialised workforce able to cover its multifaceted challenges. The relevance of this field cannot be overestimated as it affects all sides of society and industry alike. This is especially relevant in the Tropical and ASEAN region where developing nations are striving to implement new technological solutions to enhance their population’s living standards. Such technologies, including IoT, critical infrastructure and even a more general internet infrastructure, need to be secured and monitored at all levels from a constantly rising number of threats.
The Bachelor of Cybersecurity forms professionals with a proper foundation in IT (including software and mobile app development, database design, machine learning etc.) complemented by a strong emphasis in Cybersecurity and related knowledge.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Cybersecurity at James Cook University will be able to:
- Demonstrate essential knowledge for a career in IT and Cybersecurity related professions and practice.
- Synthesise IT and Cybersecurity industry standard and underlying principles and concepts for decision making and risk assessment.
- Critically analyse the core professional obligations, values and operations of organisations, including sustainability.
- Critically evaluate data & resources in the context of industry IT and Cybersecurity practice and/or relevant academic literature.
- Apply critical thinking to address IT and Cybersecurity related issues.
- Convey information clearly and fluently, in high quality written form appropriate for their audience.
- Demonstrate effective oral presentation skills for academic and professional audiences
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively.
- Apply technical skills, including numeracy, necessary for IT and Cybersecurity professional practice.
- Demonstrate an awareness of ethical and social responsibility in professional practice.
- Identify and act upon, learning opportunities and self-improvements.
- Fundamentals of Problem Solving and Programming I
- Internet Fundamentals
- Programming II
- Web Design and Development
- Preparatory Mathematics or Mathematical Foundations
- Foundations of Data Science
- Operating Systems and Shell Scripting
- Cybersecurity and Cryptography Fundamentals
- Information Processing and Visualization
- Database Modelling
- Programming III
- Network Forensics and Data Communication
- Machine Learning for Cybersecurity
- Cloud and Data Center Security
- Cybersecurity Infrastructure and Management
- Cybersecurity Risk Management
- Data Mining
- Mobile Computing
- Design Thinking and Project Management
- Advanced Software Engineering
- Ethical Hacking
- Strategy and Governance
- Best Practices in Cybersecurity
- Behavioral Cybersecurity or Cybersecurity for Operational Technology
For a comprehensive listing and outline of the respective course subjects, please click here.
- The entry requirements differ from country to country but in general applicants must have satisfactorily completed 12 years of schooling or equivalent.
- Successful completion of the James Cook University Foundation Program will also satisfy the entrance requirement.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of IELTS 6 (no component lower than 6.0) / TOEFL (Internet Based) 74 (no component less than 18) / Pearson PTE Academic 52 (no component less than 52); or
- Satisfactory completion of James Cook University Singapore English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP); or
- Successful completion of other qualifications completed in English Language deemed comparable to Australian standards within the last two years on a case-by-case basis
- Credit exemption of up to 16 subjects may be granted for students with relevant qualifications from recognised institutions.
For further information email email@example.com
International students holding a valid Student’s Pass are required to attend at least 90% of scheduled classes per month. Failure to attend classes is a breach of the student visa conditions. Being absent from classes for a continuous period of seven days or more, or attendance falling below 90% without valid reasons will result in the student needing to surrender their Student's Pass for cancellation.
Domestic students must attend at least 75% of the scheduled lecture and tutorial activities to be eligible for assessment.
Graduates will be ready for different entry level jobs in this growing industry including, for example, cybersecurity analyst and penetration tester. Besides learning technical topics like network infrastructure and security, ethical hacking, machine learning and more, students will also be exposed to higher level concepts, including risk management and strategy and governance, laying down a foundation for career growth and possible later shifts into senior management positions in both public and private sectors.
*Fees apply to all Singapore residents (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and all pass holders excluding those holding a Student Pass)
Note: All course fees include prevailing 7% Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Note: International students in Singapore on a Student Pass are not permitted to work. For more information please visit http://www.ica.gov.sg.
James Cook University is EduTrust Certified. The EduTrust certification scheme is administered by the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). EduTrust requires all students to be covered under a Fee Protection Scheme. In James Cook University, this is provided through an insurance protection scheme. Further, EduTrust also requires that the students must be covered under a medical insurance coverage which has provision for hospitalisation, surgery and treatment costs throughout their course duration. James Cook University will advise in the Standard Student Contract the total amount of insurance payable.
For more details please visit the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) website: www.cpe.gov.sg
Although James Cook University endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.