Bachelor of Economics
Bachelor of Economics
The Bachelor of Economics empowers students with the knowledge of managing the economy through a vigorous understanding of the transactional links from individuals to businesses to larger societies and nations. Employing data analytical skills as well as theoretical analysis, graduates will be able to demonstrate complex economic assessment. The degree also prepares graduates to evaluate and apply ethical and social responsibility in professional practice and decision making to develop sustainable economic policy solutions.
JCU graduates are committed to lifelong learning, intellectual development, and to the display of exemplary personal, professional and ethical standards. They have a sense of their place in the tropics and are charged with professional, community, and environmental responsibility. They exhibit a willingness to lead and to contribute to the intellectual, environmental, cultural, economic and social challenges of regional, national, and international communities of the tropics.
3 trimesters per year
Students are required to complete 24 subjects. Of these students will take 23 Core Subjects Plus 1 Elective Subject at Level 2 or 3.
- Accounting for Decision Making
- Principles of Data Analysis for Business
- Introduction to Management Concepts and Application
- Professional and Academic Skills for Business
- Business Law
- Foundations in Microeconomics
- Foundations in Macroeconomics
- Macroeconomic Policy
- Managerial Economics
- Workforce Economics and Analytics
- Econometrics and Big Data Analysis
- Economics and Sustainable Resource Management
- Financial Institutions and Markets
- International Economics
- Introduction to Environmental Economics
- Economic Growth and Sustainable Development
- Economics of Social Policy
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Behavioural Economics for Sustainable Policy
- International Political Economy
- Applied Econometrics
- History of Economic Thought
- Professional Internship or Multidisciplinary Project or
- Independent Project
Select 3 credit points of level 2 or 3 BU or BX subjects
For a comprehensive listing and outline of the respective course subjects, please click here.
Eligibility & Requirements
- The entry requirements differ from country to country but in general applicants must have satisfactorily completed 12 years of schooling or equivalent.
- Successful completion of the James Cook University Foundation Program will also satisfy the entry requirement.
- Recommended: Mathematical Methods
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of IELTS 6 (no component lower than 6.0) / TOEFL (Internet Based) 74 (no component less than 18) / Pearson PTE Academic 52 (no component less than 52); or
- Satisfactory completion of James Cook University Singapore English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP Level 3); or
- Successful completion of other qualifications completed in English Language deemed comparable to Australian standards on a case-by-case basis in accordance to JCU
International students holding a valid Student's Pass are required to attend at least 90% of scheduled classes per month. Failure to attend classes is a breach of the student visa conditions. Being absent from classes for a continuous period of seven days or more, or attendance falling below 90% without valid reasons will result in the student needing to surrender their Student's Pass for cancellation.
Domestic students must attend at least 75% of the scheduled lecture and tutorial activities to be eligible for assessment.
- Assistant Managers
- Bank Executives
- Business Analysts
- Finance Executives
- Service Managers
- Economic Analysts
*Fees apply to all Singapore residents (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and all pass holders excluding those holding a Student Pass)
- All course fees include the corresponding Singapore Goods and Services Tax (GST), which is 8% in 2023.
- There will be an increase of GST in 2024 to 9%, hence this will affect the total tuition fees.
- The details of the instalment breakdown will be provided in your Student Contract. Please contact us for further details.
Note: International students in Singapore on a Student Pass are not permitted to work. For more information please visit http://www.ica.gov.sg.
James Cook University is EduTrust Certified. The EduTrust certification scheme is administered by the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). EduTrust requires all students to be covered under a Fee Protection Scheme. In James Cook University, this is provided through an insurance protection scheme. Further, EduTrust also requires that the students must be covered under a medical insurance coverage which has provision for hospitalisation, surgery and treatment costs throughout their course duration. James Cook University will advise in the Standard Student Contract the total amount of insurance payable.
For more details please visit the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) website: www.cpe.gov.sg
Although James Cook University endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.
View our upcoming events
Download the Business brochure here.