Bachelor of Business
Bachelor of Business
With this degree you will be equipped with skills that meet the demands of business including developing communication and engagement skills, building networks, adopting a commercial mindset, understanding project management and mastering critical thinking and problem solving.
Initially, you will concentrate on establishing a solid understanding of the business environment via the compulsory subjects. Later on, you will start to specialise and expand your major area of study. You will also have the opportunity to see and experience business fundamentals in action while working on industry projects.
Depending on your area of specialisation, you can apply for membership to a wide range of organisations including:
- Australian Marketing Institute (AMI)
- Australian Institute of Travel and Tourism (AITT)
- Meetings and Events Australia (MEA)
- Sports Management Association of Australia and New Zealand (SMAANZ)
The Bachelor of Business (Majoring in Human Resources Management) is accredited by Australian HR Institute.
3 trimesters per year (normally 4 subjects per trimester)
- Accounting for Decision Making
- Principles of Economics
- Principles of Data Analysis for Business
- Introduction to Management Concepts and Application
- Business Communication
- Marketing Matters
- Business Law
- plus one of the following Work Integrated Learning Capstone Subjects:
- Professional Internship*
- Multidisciplinary Project
- Independent Project
In the JCU Bachelor of Business, students conclude their studies with a core Work Integrated Learning (WIL) experience that connects them with the business community, enabling them to demonstrate their graduate skills to potential employers.
To be eligible to apply for WIL, students must successfully complete prescribed online career development modules and quizzes throughout the degree to better prepare them for their WIL experience.
- Hospitality and Tourism Management
- International Business
- Human Resources Management
- Business Intelligence and Information Systems
- Marketing for the Digital Age
Minor (4 subjects from one of the following areas)
Note: Upon recommendation students are required to complete English for Academic Purposes subject to meet progression requirements.
For a comprehensive listing and outline of the respective course subjects, please click here.
CLO 1. Demonstrate essential knowledge and innovative thinking necessary for a careers in ever changing business and not-for-profit environments
CLO 2. Synthesise underlying principles and concepts for making sustainable business decisions to meet current and future needs
CLO 3. Critically analyse the core professional obligations, values and operations of organisations including sustainability
CLO 4. Critically evaluate, interpret and communicate information, data & resources in academic literature and digital contexts
CLO 5. Work collaboratively and creatively to promote innovation
CLO 6. Apply critical thinking and problem-solving strategies in disruptive domestic and global business contexts
CLO 7. Convey information and ideas through effective communication skills appropriate to diverse audiences
CLO 8. Apply technical and digital skills, including literacy and numeracy necessary for professional practice in business
CLO 9. Evaluate and apply ethical, sustainable and social responsibility in professional practice and decision making
CLO 10. Identify and act upon, learning opportunities and self-improvements.
CLO 11. Demonstrate resilience, initiative, judgement, and reflective practice with a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development
- The entry requirements differ from country to country but in general applicants must have satisfactorily completed 12 years of schooling or equivalent
- Successful completion of the James Cook University Foundation Program will also satisfy the entry requirement.
- Successful completion of English Language subject or any language rich subject deemed comparable to Australian standards on a case-by-case basis which includes GCE A level Grade D or higher in English or any language rich subject, GCE AS level Grade C or higher in English or any language rich subject, or GCE O level Grade C or higher in English subject.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of IELTS 6 (no component lower than 6.0) / TOEFL (Internet Based) 74 (no component less than 18) / Pearson PTE Academic 52 (no component less than 52); or
- Satisfactory completion of James Cook University Singapore English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP); or
- Successful completion of other qualifications completed in English Language deemed comparable to Australian standards within the last two years on a case-by-case basis
- Advanced standing of up to 8 subjects will be granted upon successful completion of James Cook University Diploma of Higher Education (Business Studies) program.
- Credit exemption may be granted for students with tertiary qualifications from recognised institutions on a case-by-case basis.
*Fees apply to all Singapore residents (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and all pass holders excluding those holding a Student Pass)
Note: All course fees include prevailing 7% Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Note: International students in Singapore on a Student Pass are not permitted to work. For more information please visit http://www.ica.gov.sg.
James Cook University is EduTrust Certified. The EduTrust certification scheme is administered by the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). EduTrust requires all students to be covered under a Fee Protection Scheme. In James Cook University, this is provided through an insurance protection scheme. Further, EduTrust also requires that the students must be covered under a medical insurance coverage which has provision for hospitalisation, surgery and treatment costs throughout their course duration. James Cook University will advise in the Standard Student Contract the total amount of insurance payable.
For more details please visit the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) website: www.cpe.gov.sg
Although James Cook University endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.