Bachelor of Tourism, Hospitality and Events
Bachelor of Tourism, Hospitality and Events
This course would equip you with knowledge, exposure and skills in Tourism, Hospitality, and Events Businesses with a focus on managing complex businesses effectively. You will also gain transferable skills in critical thinking, research, academic writing, time management and presentation skills while advancing an understanding of the management of various tourism, hospitality and event establishments using diverse approaches and strategies suitable to their context. Through this course, you will eventually develop supervisorial and managerial abilities to thrive and succeed in a very global industry.
3 Trimesters per year
Students are required to complete 72 credit points as per course structure which includes 20 Core Subjects (60 Credit Points) and 4 Elective Subjects (12 Credit Points)
- Introduction to Tourism, Hospitality, and Events Management
- Accounting for Decision Making
- Principles of Data Analysis for Business
- Introduction to Management Concepts and Application or Leadership and Ethics in Tourism Management
- Professional and Academic Skills for Business
- Marketing Matters
- Business Law
- Managing People
- Tourism and Leisure Management
- Conference and Events Management
- Evidence Based Business Decision Making
- Food and Beverage Management
- Project Management
- Innovation for Tourism, Hospitality and Events Futures
- Experience Design in Tourism, Hospitality and Events
- Revenue and Yield Management
- Visitor and Crowd Behaviour Management
- Hospitality Operations Management
- Destination Management and Planning
- Professional Internship or Multidisciplinary Project or Independent Project
Select 9 credit points of any Level 1, 2 or 3 undergraduate subjects
Select 3 credit points of any Level 2 or 3 undergraduate subjects
Note: Upon recommendation students are required to complete English for Academic Purposes subject to meet progression requirements.
For a comprehensive listing and outline of the respective course subjects, please click here.
Eligibility & Requirements
- The entry requirements differ from country to country but in general applicants must have satisfactorily completed (passed) 12 years of schooling or equivalent
- Successful completion of the James Cook University Foundation Program will also satisfy the entry requirement
- Recommended: Mathematical Methods
- Students may apply for credit transfer for previous tertiary study in accordance with the Credit Transfer Procedure. Maximum advanced standing up to 48 credit points.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of IELTS 6 (no component lower than 6.0) / TOEFL (Internet Based) 74 (no component less than 18) / Pearson PTE Academic 52 (no component less than 52) or
- Satisfactory completion of James Cook University Singapore English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP) or
- Successful completion of other qualifications completed in English Language deemed comparable to Australian standards on a case-by-case basis in accordance to JCU admissions guidelines.
International students holding a valid Student’s Pass are required to attend at least 90% of scheduled classes per month. Failure to attend classes is a breach of the student visa conditions. Being absent from classes for a continuous period of seven days or more, or attendance falling below 90% without valid reasons will result in the student needing to surrender their Student's Pass for cancellation.
Domestic students must attend at least 75% of the scheduled lecture and tutorial activities to be eligible for assessment.
Join some of the fastest-growing industries and kickstart your career in tourism, hospitality and events. Build an understanding of research and practice in tourism, hospitality and events as a complex field of business. Gain sought-after skills in digital fluency, sustainability, resilience and futures thinking, with a focus on tropical environments.
JCU Tourism, Hospitality and Events (THE) graduates are multi-skilled business professionals who find employment in a growing number of areas. Graduates pursue careers in tourism, hospitality, events, and business. You could find employment as a hospitality manager, events manager, hotel supervisor, travel agent, spa manager, event and conference organiser, tourism operator, tour guide or business owner.
*Fees apply to all Singapore residents (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and all pass holders excluding those holding a Student Pass)
- All course fees include the corresponding Singapore Goods and Services Tax (GST), which is 8% in 2023.
- There will be an increase of GST in 2024 to 9%, hence this will affect the total tuition fees.
- The details of the instalment breakdown will be provided in your Student Contract. Please contact us for further details.
Note: International students in Singapore on a Student Pass are not permitted to work. For more information please visit http://www.ica.gov.sg.
James Cook University is EduTrust Certified. The EduTrust certification scheme is administered by the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). EduTrust requires all students to be covered under a Fee Protection Scheme. In James Cook University, this is provided through an insurance protection scheme. Further, EduTrust also requires that the students must be covered under a medical insurance coverage which has provision for hospitalisation, surgery and treatment costs throughout their course duration. James Cook University will advise in the Standard Student Contract the total amount of insurance payable.
For more details please visit the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) website: www.cpe.gov.sg
Although James Cook University endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.
View our upcoming events
Download the Business brochure here.