Bachelor of Commerce (Majoring in Economics)
Bachelor of Commerce (Majoring in Economics)
With this degree you will be equipped with skills and knowledge for a career in the changing business and not for profit environments. The degree program will enhance your critical thinking and problem solving skills, practice ethical values, adopting a commercial mindset, understanding project management and mastering critical thinking and problem solving.
Initially, you will concentrate on establishing a solid understanding of the business environment via the compulsory subjects. Later on, you will start to specialize and expand your major area of study. You will also have the opportunity to see and experience business fundamentals in action while working on industry related projects.
Depending on your area of specialization, you can apply for membership to a wide range of organizations. The accounting major within the Bachelor of Commerce program is accredited by CPA Australia and Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ).
The accounting major qualifications is also endorsed by the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) and recognised by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
The Banking & Finance and Financial Management Majors are recognized by the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute (CFA). The program is closely tied to the practice of investment management and is helpful to students preparing for the CFA Program exams.
3 trimesters per year (normally 4 subjects per trimester)
- Accounting for Decision Making
- Principles of Economics
- Principles of Data Analysis for Business
- Introduction to Management Concepts and Application
- Business Communication
- Marketing Matters
- Business Law
- plus one of the following Work Integrated Learning Capstone Subjects:
- Professional Internship*
- Multidisciplinary Project
- Independent Project
Additional Course Conditions:
In the JCU Bachelor of Business, students conclude their studies with a core Work Integrated Learning (WIL) experience that connects them with the business community, enabling them to demonstrate their graduate skills to potential employers.
To be eligible to apply for WIL, students must successfully complete prescribed online career development modules and quizzes throughout the degree to better prepare them for their WIL experience.
- Managerial Economics
- Macroeconomic Policy
- Econometrics and Big Data Analysis
- Economics and Sustainable Resource Management
- Economic Growth and Sustainable Development
- Economics of Social Policy
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Behavioural Economics for Sustainable Policy
Note: Upon recommendation students are required to complete English for Academic Purposes subject to meet progression requirements.
For a comprehensive listing and outline of the respective course subjects, please click here.
- The entry requirements differ from country to country but in general applicants must have satisfactorily completed 12 years of schooling or equivalent.
- Successful completion of the James Cook University Foundation Program will also satisfy the entry requirement.
- Successful completion of English Language subject or any language rich subject deemed comparable to Australian standards on a case-by-case basis which includes GCE A level Grade D or higher in English or any language rich subject, GCE AS level Grade C or higher in English or any language rich subject, or GCE O level Grade C or higher in English subject.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of IELTS 6 (no component lower than 6.0) / TOEFL (Internet Based) 74 (no component less than 18) / Pearson PTE Academic 52 (no component less than 52); or
- Satisfactory completion of James Cook University Singapore English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP); or
- Successful completion of other qualifications completed in English Language deemed comparable to Australian standards within the last two years on a case-by-case basis
- Advanced standing of up to 8 subjects will be granted upon successful completion of James Cook University Diploma of Higher Education (Business Studies) program.
- Credit exemption may be granted for students with tertiary qualifications from recognised institutions on a case-by-case basis.
The Bachelor of Commerce (Majoring in Economics) degree equips students with the knowledge they need to think creatively and deeply about some of the most important economic issues facing the world today. The program provides you with the skills needed to apply a variety of theoretical perspectives to issues of economic efficiency, economic growth, international globalization, wealth and inequality, power, individual freedoms, and environmental concerns. As a Bachelor of Commerce (Majoring in Economics) graduate, the analytical, quantitative, and communication skills that you acquire are useful in many different occupations in management, marketing, finance, banking, IT, and public administration.
*Fees apply to all Singapore residents (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and all pass holders excluding those holding a Student Pass)
Note: All course fees include prevailing 7% Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Note: International students in Singapore on a Student Pass are not permitted to work. For more information please visit http://www.ica.gov.sg.
James Cook University is EduTrust Certified. The EduTrust certification scheme is administered by the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). EduTrust requires all students to be covered under a Fee Protection Scheme. In James Cook University, this is provided through an insurance protection scheme. Further, EduTrust also requires that the students must be covered under a medical insurance coverage which has provision for hospitalisation, surgery and treatment costs throughout their course duration. James Cook University will advise in the Standard Student Contract the total amount of insurance payable.
For more details please visit the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) website: www.cpe.gov.sg
Although James Cook University endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.