Bachelor of Business and Environmental Science
Bachelor of Business and Environmental Science
It is well recognised that businesses must have robust environmental strategies to succeed in the 21st century.
Chief Executive Officers have to consider carbon footprints, sustainable practices, global climate change, and waste management issues.
These are environmentally sensitive issues which have resulted in an increase of related legislation. In addition, some business activities require a knowledge of the environment. In the aquaculture industry, for example, biological knowledge is required to raise fish, prawns, algae and other crops. But there is no substitute for a good business plan. The benefit of this degree is that it gives you the knowledge and skill to do both.
This multi-disciplinary program uses the university's strengths in business, environmental and marine science. Students are provided with core knowledge and training in the application of business and environmental principles. The course provides a fundamental background in business, environmental and marine sciences that is essential for a holistic approach to business operations.
12 business + 12 science subjects
- Accounting for Decision Making
- Principles of Economics
- Introduction to Management Concepts and Application
- Business Communications
- 4 Business level 2 subjects and 4 Business level 3 subjects
Environmental Science Subjects
- Introduction to Biodiversity
- Environmental Processes and Global Change
- Introduction to Sustainability
- Quantitative Methods in Science
- Introduction to Environmental Economics
- Fundamentals of Ecology
- 2 Environmental Science level 2 subjects and 4 Environmental Science level 3 subjects
- Introduction to Aquaculture
- Aquaculture of Tropical Species
- The Case for Sustainability
- Sustainable Aquaculture
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment
- Sustainability in Practice
- Marine Conservation Biology
- Tropical Marine Ecology and Coastal Impacts
Bachelor of Business and Environmental Science comprises both business and science course subjects. Please click here to search for course subject outline.
CLO 1. Integrate and apply a coherent body of theoretical and technical knowledge in the disciplines of business and environmental science, with depth in sustainability principles and tropical contexts
CLO 2. Critically appraise the role and relevance of environmental science in international, regional and local business practice and society
CLO 3. Demonstrate broad understanding of the methods of environmental science as applied in business, including interdisciplinary and stakeholder collaboration, and the creative processes involved in developing scientific knowledge, and its contestable and testable nature
CLO 4. Retrieve, analyse, synthesise and evaluate information from a range of sources
CLO 5. Plan and conduct reliable, evidence-based laboratory and/or field work and/or business related projects, by selecting and applying methods, techniques and tools as relevant to the appropriate disciplines
CLO 6. Organise, analyse and interpret business and scientific data using mathematical, statistical and technological skills
CLO 7. Convey ideas, arguments and conclusions clearly and coherently through well-developed written and oral communication skills and a variety of media
CLO 8. Identify, analyse and generate solutions to unpredictable or complex problems, in relation to business and the environment in tropical contexts, by applying evidence and theory, and critical, creative and systemic thinking skills
CLO 9. Critically review regulatory requirements, ethical principles and cultural frameworks, to work effectively, responsibly and safely in diverse contexts and interdisciplinary teams
CLO 10. Reflect on current skills, knowledge and attitudes to manage their professional learning needs and performance, autonomously and in collaboration with others.
- The entrance requirements differ from country to country but in general applicants must have satisfactorily completed 12 years of schooling or equivalent
- Successful completion of the James Cook University Foundation Program will also satisfy the entry requirement
- Assumed knowledge English and Maths B
For further information email email@example.com
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of IELTS 6 (no component lower than 6.0) / TOEFL (Internet Based) 74 (no component less than 18) / Pearson PTE Academic 52 (no component less than 52); or
- Satisfactory completion of James Cook University Singapore English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP); or
- Successful completion of other qualifications completed in English Language deemed comparable to Australian standards within the last two years on a case-by-case basis
International students holding a valid Student’s Pass are required to attend at least 90% of scheduled classes per month. Failure to attend classes is a breach of the student visa conditions. Being absent from classes for a continuous period of seven days or more, or attendance falling below 90% without valid reasons will result in the student needing to surrender their Student's Pass for cancellation.
Domestic students must attend at least 75% of the scheduled lecture and tutorial activities to be eligible for assessment.
As a graduate of Bachelor of Business and Environmental Science you will be able to work within a range of public, private and non-profit industries. You can also work in the areas of agriculture, aquaculture, forestry and fisheries. The future is clear. All companies will require key staff who can facilitate growth of businesses in times of strong social and governmental demands for good environmental practices.
*Fees apply to all Singapore residents (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and all pass holders excluding those holding a Student Pass)
Note: All course fees include prevailing 7% Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Note: International students in Singapore on a Student Pass are not permitted to work. For more information please visit http://www.ica.gov.sg.
James Cook University is EduTrust Certified. The EduTrust certification scheme is administered by the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG). EduTrust requires all students to be covered under a Fee Protection Scheme. In James Cook University, this is provided through an insurance protection scheme. Further, EduTrust also requires that the students must be covered under a medical insurance coverage which has provision for hospitalisation, surgery and treatment costs throughout their course duration. James Cook University will advise in the Standard Student Contract the total amount of insurance payable.
For more details please visit the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) website: www.cpe.gov.sg
Although James Cook University endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.