With the rising affluence of middle class populations, growing regional and global trade, there are excellent opportunities available in the hospitality and tourism industries.
Graduates can apply critical business acumen to hospitality industry issues, such as revenue management, responsible management practices, globalisation, individual identity and career development, sustainability, leadership and change, and strategy with this joint degree.
March, July, November
16 months full time
3 trimesters per year (normally 4 subjects per trimester)
This course is composed of 16 subjects including core subjects and elective as per the study plan.
- Sustainable Enterprise
- The Changing Business Environment
- Managing Strategic Resources and Operations
- Corporate Responsibility and Governance
- Marketing and Customer Engagement
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Leading and Managing Organisational Change
- Applied Research Project
- Tourism and the Environment
- Tourism Systems Analysis
- Tourism and Hospitality Operations Management
- Global Destination Competitiveness
- Tourist Management Strategies
- Economic Decision-Making in the Hospitality Industry or
- Economics for a Sustainable World
- Hospitality and Gastronomy
- PLUS one elective subject
For a comprehensive listing and outline of the respective course subjects, please click here.
Successful completion of study equivalent to an Australian undergraduate bachelor award.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of IELTS 6.5 (no component lower than 6.0) / TOEFL (Internet Based) 86 (no component less than 21) / Pearson PTE Academic 58 (no component less than 54); or
- Satisfactory completion of James Cook University Singapore English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP); or
- Successful completion of other qualifications completed in English Language deemed comparable to Australian standards within the last two years on a case-by-case basis
Advanced Standing from 4 of the Foundation subjects can be considered for:
- Applicants with a minimum 4 years full-time equivalent professional work experience in management, leadership or supervisory level in a business environment.
- Applicants with undergraduate degree from cognate discipline such as organisation behaviour, strategic management, marketing, economics, communication, human resources, tourism or general management.*
* Not applicable for joint degree programs.
Advanced standing can also be considered for:
- Applicants with a four-year relevant undergraduate program
- Previous tertiary study where appropriate
- For MBA applicants with and undergraduate degree from non-cognate discipline, the online Academic Skills for Business foundation course has to be taken prior to admission or on the first trimester of the MBA program.
This online foundation course is free of charge
International students holding a valid Student's Pass are required to attend at least 90% of scheduled classes per month. Failure to attend classes is a breach of the student visa conditions. Being absent from classes for a continuous period of seven days or more, or attendance falling below 90% without valid reasons will result in the student needing to surrender their Student's Pass for cancellation.
Domestic students must attend at least 75% of the scheduled lecture and tutorial activities to be eligible for assessment.
With this joint master’s program, graduates can address the demand for managers in senior operational positions of leading international hospitality management organisations.
*Fees apply to all Singapore residents (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and all pass holders excluding those holding a Student Pass)
Note: All course fees include prevailing 7% Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Download the Business brochure here.
Note: International students in Singapore on a Student Pass are not permitted to work. For more information please visit http://www.ica.gov.sg.
James Cook University is EduTrust Certified. The EduTrust certification scheme is administered by the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG).
EduTrust requires all students to be covered under a Fee Protection Scheme. In James Cook University, this is provided through an insurance protection scheme. Further, EduTrust also
requires that the students must be covered under a medical insurance coverage which has provision for hospitalisation, surgery and treatment costs throughout their course duration.
James Cook University will advise in the Standard Student Contract the total amount of insurance payable.
For more details please visit the Committee for Private Education (CPE), a part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) website: www.cpe.gov.sg
Although James Cook University endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.