Safety on Campus
- Courses & Study
- Study at JCU
- Campus Maps & Contact Information
- Accommodation Search
- Pre-arrival Information
- Living in Singapore
Off Campus Accommodation
- Ace Suites
- Brickhouse @ Sims
- CSL Student Living Selegie @ dwell Student Living
- De Cozy @ Central Imperial
- De Cozy @ The Diamond
- De Cozy @ La Brisa
- De Cozy @ Casa Aerata
- De Cozy @ The Sunshine
- East Lodge
- Evo Global Services @ Euro-Asia Court
- Evo Global Services @ Oleander Towers
- Evo Global Services @ The Regalia
- Herald Homestay @ Sant Ritz
- Real Estate Investment Hub @ Loft 68
- De Cozy @ Blossom View
- De Cozy @ Canne Ville
- De Cozy @ Winsome Apartments
- De Cozy @ One Leicester
- Cozihouz Service Provider @ Casa Irrawaddy
- Cozihouz Service Provider @ Trellis Tower
- ES Home @ ES Homestay
- Easycity @ Atrium Residences
- Easycity @ Esta Ruby
- Easycity @ Versilia On Haig
- Herald Homestay @ TRE Residences
- Times Overseas Homestay @ Payar Lebar Residences
- De Cozy @ Belimbing
- Cove Living @ Fortune Jade
- Cove Living @ TRE Residences
- Cove Living @ The Meyer Place
- Cove Living @ Park 1 Suites
- Cove Living @ Pastoral View
- Cove Living @ Kerrisdale
- Cove Living @ Eight Riversuites
- Cove Living @ Apleton View
- Cove Living @ The Centren
- Cove Living @ Sturdee Residences
- Ascott International @ lyf Funan Singapore
- Cove Living @ The Alcove
- Xcel Apartments @ Canne Lodge
- Xcel Apartments @ The Trumps
- Freeflow Solutions @ Central Grove
- Freeflow Solutions @ Simsville
- Freeflow Solutions @ The Amarelle
- Freeflow Solutions @ The Sunny Spring
- Freeflow Solutions @ The Waterina
- Housing Development Board Apartment (HDB)
- Accommodation FAQs
- Pre-arrival Information
Student support services
- Student Handbook
- Student Affairs Directory
- Messages to all Students
- Library Services
- Careers Services
- Psychology clinic
- IT on campus
- Learning Centre
- Counselling and Wellbeing Office
- Attendance & Insurance
- Clubs & Societies
- Campus Culture
- Calendars & Timetables
- You said it. We did it.
- JCU Privilege Programme
- About Us
- Applying and Enrolment
- JCUS Student Code of Conduct
- Good Science = Great Business 2018 Festival
- Staff Email
- Facilities Booking
- Merit Scholarships
- JCU Graduation
- LearnJCU Help Guides
- Tropical Futures Institute
- Move-Up Scholarships for Current Students
- JCU Success Workshops
Safety on Campus
- There are 2 Fire drills every year, around May or June and in November or December
- The AED (Automated External Defibrillators) devices can also be found at below locations
- Level 1, Guard House
- Level 1, Block B – Outside Gymnasium
- Level 1, Block C – Inside Student Hub
- Level 1, Block D – Beside Canteen
- List of First-Aid box locations
- Level 1
- Guard House
- Psychology Clinic
- Student Services
- Campus Activities
- Corporate Reception
- Facilities Office
- ELPP Office
- ICT Office
- Staff Lounge
- Academic Office
- Exam Office
- Fire Drill Assembly Point. Click here to enlarge.
- Training conducted for staff – Evac Chair Training
Evacuation safety chair is deployed campus-wide at the designated staircase landings to provide evacuation for the mobility impaired or injured during an emergency such as a fire, where passenger lifts can not be used in a multi-storey building.
The chair is a lightweight and easy to use device which glides effortlessly down stairways to assist with the quick and safe removal of who are mobility impaired in the event of an emergency evacuation.
To handle the evacuation chair properly and safely, one has to attend a one-day lesson with the certified trainers and be awarded a certificate.
- Conducted training to staff on ‘Detecting Suspicious Articles/People’
This is part of the SG Secure awareness and training to equip our ground staff with the knowledge to detect suspicious articles and people within the University premises and how to respond to them.
Things to take noteOn the event of emergency, occupants will evacuate as follows:
1st stage : Alarm will sound for 20 seconds to alert, and followed by the first public address announcement for further investigation
“Ladies and gentlemen, your attention, please. The fire alarm has been activated in the building. We are investigating the situation. Please remain calm and stand-by your speakers for further instruction. Thank you.”
Scenario 1: False Alarm
2nd stage : Second public address announcement to inform occupants it is a false fire alarm and to resume their activities (this message will play 2 times)
“Ladies and gentlemen, your attention, please. We have investigated the situation and found it to be a false alarm. We regret for any inconvenience caused. Thank you.”
Scenario 2: Real Fire
2nd stage : Alarm will sound for 30 seconds to alert and followed by the second public address announcement to get occupants ready for evacuation (this message will play 3 times)
“Ladies and gentlemen, your attention, please. There exists an emergency situation in the building. Please evacuate by the nearest exit staircase and obey all instructions given by the Fire Wardens. Remember to avoid the use of lifts. "
Note: Fire wardens are to lead the occupants to evacuate if necessary via the nearest staircase. Do NOT use lifts or escalators.
- The University is certified with OHSAS 18001 that enables us to manage operational health and safety risks and improve performance.
- There is a new standard Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems, ISO 45001 and we are in the midst of transition.
- As the world’s first International Standard dealing with health and safety at work, ISO 45001, Occupational health and safety management systems, it is directed at the top management of an organization, aim to provide a safe and healthy workplace for employees and visitors.
- James Cook University’s management is committed to establish an effective OH&S management system, ensure that it is effective and that it is being continually improved to meet an organization’s ever-changing “context”.
- Target to obtain ISO 45001 certification before December 2020
- SGSecure is Singapore’s community response to the threat of terrorism. It is a movement to build the resilience of our community and a call to action to everyone in our multi-racial, multi-religious society to come together to safeguard Singapore and our way of life.
- James Cook University is committed to promote and support SG Secure to build a resilient community against terrorist attempts. Find out more about the SG Secure.
- Singapore Environment Council – Eco Office (2018)
- SGClean campaign is an approach to adopt a "whole-of-nation" effort to raise the standard of cleanliness across Singapore by the National Environment Agency (NEA) on 16th February 2020.
- The University has passed the audit in May 2020 and has been awarded with SGClean Quality Mark.